Logos0
Had this question 4
Question
Logos0 asked on

two issues in IE9 beta

1 cannot get the feedback interface to work, getting a panel prompting me to install the live sign in assistant, when it's obviously already installed. The thing is that I got Windows Live Essentials beta installed too, and since then the assistant doesn't appear anymore in the list of installed programs, but it's still installed, and kept being usable in IE8

2 still getting an access denied response when attempting to add a site to favorites in IE9 beta. can't believe that, it was already the same on IE8. Can you just fix that horrible bug? (I'm on W7/64)

Logos0
Found this helpful 1
Answer
Logos0 replied on

okay the bug, or incompatibility has been acknowledged: the send feedback interface cannot work (so far) for users running W7/64 + Live Essentials beta (and guess what as mentioned I'm exactly in that case :) ). See the comment ofJames Pratt on this Windows blog page http://windowsteamblog.com/ie/b/ie/archive/2010/09/20/early-customer-enthusiasm-for-a-more-beautiful-web.aspx#comments

"We have identified an issue with the Send Feedback tool for users of the IE9 Beta on 64-bit versions of Windows 7, Vista, and Server 2008 who have also installed the Windows Live Essentials Beta.  Enhancements made to the Windows Live Essential Beta prevent the Feedback tool from running – you will receive a message entitled “Please install the Windows Live ID Sign-in Assistant” with a link to ”Get the Windows Live ID Sign-In Assistant”.  When you try to download and install from the link, it will say you already have a more recent version installed.  This issue has been reported by users in Connect, and we will update those bugs as we investigate the issue.

To provide the IE team with your feedback, go directly to the IE Feedback Program on Microsoft Connect (connect.microsoft.com/ie).  This is the same location where all entries from the Feedback Tool are logged.  You can use it to view, edit, and comment on bugs, and to see the results of our investigation.  You need to register on Connect to use the Send Feedback tool and the IE Feedback Program. Registering is a quick and easy process described here: connect.microsoft.com/.../content.aspx.  Once registered, you can go directly to the Feedback page (connect.microsoft.com/.../feedback), search for your issue, and submit new feedback if it is not found.  The Feedback page has additional information on the process.

Your feedback is very important to us and much appreciated.  Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your experiences with the IE9 Beta.

Justin Saint Clair

Program Manager, Internet Explorer"

Steven. S
Found this helpful 0
Steven. S replied on
Microsoft

Hey Logos0,

Since you already have the Windows Live ID Sign-in Helper installed follow these steps to be able to use the Send Feedback option:

·        Open Internet Explorer

·        Press Alt + X on your keyboard (or click the “Tools” gear in the right side of the toolbar)

·        Click Manage add-ons

·        Enable the Windows Live ID Sign-in Helper add-on

·        Visit this webpage and follow the steps presented to become a member of Connect & sign up for the IE Public Feedback program.

For your access denied response when trying to add a site to favorites, follow these steps to reset the location of your Favorites (shell:Favorites).

·        Click Start

·        Click Computer

·        In the address bar, paste this location: %userprofile%

·        Press Enter on your keyboard

·        Make sure you have a Favorites folder listed in the %userprofile% folder

·        If there isn’t a Favorites folder listed, create a new folder and name it Favorites

·        Right click Favorites

·        Click Properties

·        Click the Location tab

·        Click Restore Default

·        Click OK

If that doesn’t help, you can edit the registry to direct the Shell:Favorites location to the location of your Favorites folder. You can do this by:

Modifying REGISTRY settings incorrectly can cause serious problems that may prevent your computer from booting properly. Microsoft cannot guarantee that any problems resulting from the configuring of REGISTRY settings can be solved. Modifications of these settings are at your own risk.

·        Press Windows key + R on your keyboard to open the run dialog

·        In the Open: field, type regedit

·        Click OK

·        Click Yes on the  User Account Control (if prompted)

·        Navigate to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Shell Folders

·        Right click Favorites

·        Click Modify…

·        In the Value data: field, paste  %userprofile%\Favorites

·        Click OK

·        Exit Registry Editor

Look forward to hearing back from you.

Steven
Microsoft Answers Support Engineer
Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think
Logos0
Found this helpful 0
Logos0 replied on

oh I wasn't notified about your post...thanks, I'm gonna read that now ;)
Logos0
Found this helpful 0
Logos0 replied on

okay, concerning the sign in assistant, it's always been enabled, that's the problem...so I have no idea what to do. My windows live IDs aren't retained as well btw (by IE password manager). I'm using LastPass, but IE9 password manager isn't disabled. And uninstalling lastpass doesn't make things go back to normal in IE9. Could be that LP broke something and I should re-install IE9.

Now to the "favorites" folder...reading your post... indeed the access denied message could come from the fact that I don't have this folder at its original location, but moved to another drive, and EFS encrypted. Since this is running on my account in Windows, I wonder why I get an access denied, wherever this folder is located, as long as I'm the owner (for access rights) and have the EFS certificate required. But okay, I'll move it back to C: . ...and alright, it works again

ps: just mentioning that the access denied to favorites doesn't happen when UAC is off, while the favorite folder is re-located (just remembered that, I've had this issue for a while, so with IE8 too)

Logos0
Found this helpful 1
Answer
Logos0 replied on

okay the bug, or incompatibility has been acknowledged: the send feedback interface cannot work (so far) for users running W7/64 + Live Essentials beta (and guess what as mentioned I'm exactly in that case :) ). See the comment ofJames Pratt on this Windows blog page http://windowsteamblog.com/ie/b/ie/archive/2010/09/20/early-customer-enthusiasm-for-a-more-beautiful-web.aspx#comments

"We have identified an issue with the Send Feedback tool for users of the IE9 Beta on 64-bit versions of Windows 7, Vista, and Server 2008 who have also installed the Windows Live Essentials Beta.  Enhancements made to the Windows Live Essential Beta prevent the Feedback tool from running – you will receive a message entitled “Please install the Windows Live ID Sign-in Assistant” with a link to ”Get the Windows Live ID Sign-In Assistant”.  When you try to download and install from the link, it will say you already have a more recent version installed.  This issue has been reported by users in Connect, and we will update those bugs as we investigate the issue.

To provide the IE team with your feedback, go directly to the IE Feedback Program on Microsoft Connect (connect.microsoft.com/ie).  This is the same location where all entries from the Feedback Tool are logged.  You can use it to view, edit, and comment on bugs, and to see the results of our investigation.  You need to register on Connect to use the Send Feedback tool and the IE Feedback Program. Registering is a quick and easy process described here: connect.microsoft.com/.../content.aspx.  Once registered, you can go directly to the Feedback page (connect.microsoft.com/.../feedback), search for your issue, and submit new feedback if it is not found.  The Feedback page has additional information on the process.

Your feedback is very important to us and much appreciated.  Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your experiences with the IE9 Beta.

Justin Saint Clair

Program Manager, Internet Explorer"