FrolinMarek
Had this question 19
Question
FrolinMarek asked on

Internet Explorer slow on select major sites (Google, Facebook, Yahoo, etc.) ok on others MSN, Microsoft

Last week my Internet Explorer seemed to all but stop working with select websites.  This on a Windows 7 64bit PC, with IE9,  running for months, without and new software installed, except for maybe MS updates.

When I go to Google, FaceBook, Yahoo, Mapquest and select other small hobby sites, the browser either times out or takes 20-40 seconds for the site to open.  If I go to MSN or Microsoft or CBS.com, those sites open immediate and fast and OK.  So it's not the site or category of or content, it's random, some open some don't.

Used SpeedTest.Net and results gave 19mps download and 1.8mps upload.  So it's not the Internet connection.

I frequent various Yahoo Groups and now can't get to any of them.

So I went and tested Google Chrome I had loaded in past and not gotten excited about, and all sites come up fine and fast.

I uninstalled IE9 and went back to IE8, no different.  Reloaded IE9, no help.  Tried IE running "IE with no add-ons" (not that I have many hardly any), no help.  Did all the basics, basic empty TIF and cache, reset IE to defaults, etc, no luck.  Tried various trips from the web, no help.

So Saturday I formatted my boot drive and reinstalled Windows 7.  Found after IE worked fine for 2 days then failed again today.  So maybe in the various Microsoft updates to updates to updates, something broke it again?

BTW - same issue, three different User accounts on my home PC.  Worked fine on all after the rebuilt, stopped working 2 days later.

Any thoughts why select major brand websites fail to load or are VERY slow to load and chg pages, where others work fine, same IE 9 setup, and all work fine in Google Chrome...

Frolin

DJTECH99
Found this helpful 11
Answer
DJTECH99 replied on

Experienced this issue when the users were using IE as their browser and the client machine has both IPv4 and IPv6 enabled. Troubleshooting took way longer than I wanted. The large “hobby sites” have IPv6 infrastructure, however somewhere between the client, switches, routers and ISP the IPv6 traffic is not being routed properly. Only big corporate sites so far seem to have IPv6 enabled. Since the traffic gets clogged from not routing properly from end-to-end it causes IE to timeout before retrying traffic over IPv4.

Fix in my situation was to disable IPv6 on certain clients.

How to disable IP version 6 (IPv6) or its specific components in Windows 7 http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929852  

For other clients I was able to resolve issue with Microsoft Fix it 50410 on same Microsoft KB article which sets the default to prefer IPv4 over IPv6

Hope this helps …. Good luck!

DJTECH

Some additional answers can be extracted here:http://googlesystem.blogspot.com/2011/06/googles-ipv6-test.html

About the same date problems began.

Rohit Chettri
Found this helpful 0
Rohit Chettri replied on
Microsoft Forum Moderator

Hi,

I would suggest you to check which Windows update might be the cause of the issues. 

a)      Open Windows Update by clicking the Start button, All Programs, and then Windows Update.

b)      In the left pane, click View update history.

c)      c)  To view more information about an update, double-click it.

Provide us the KB number so that we may be able to assist you better.

I would suggest you to go through the steps mentioned in the link and check.

You experience slow performance in Internet Explorer 9

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2398082

Hope this helps and keep us posted.

FrolinMarek
Found this helpful 0
FrolinMarek replied on

Thanks for the reply.   Unfortunately these options do not / did not resolve the IE issue.

Because of no other options, I did a new clean format drive and install of Windows 7 64bit on Saturday.  And thus in the next couple days, Windows proceeded to load and load more, various updates.  List on the Updates History is around 100 lines long.

And after installing Win7, I downloaded the most recent Nvidia video driver and loaded it.

From your tip, went to that KB link and confirmed, I have the Excelerated Graphics, use Software Rendering, enabled.

Odd is, the system was working fine until maybe Thursday last week, when only select major brand web-sites stopped working. And do not beleive several sites would have been revamped over night, leading to load failures.

Am also about to open the same sites without issue, in Google Chrome, and on a second and third PC here, one in IE 8 and other with Chrome.  So it's something updated on this PC.

When I go to FB, it takes 20-30 seconds for the page to come up, and is slow in moving around.
When I go to Yahoo home, very slow, maybe 30-40 secs, then get the site often without graphic icons just button text.
When I go to MapQuest or Google, very slow to load then slow to move around.

Is there a select KB update file that WIndows 7 would have loaded in recent days after the new install, that would corrupt IE usage?

Thanks again.

JerryShang
Found this helpful 1
JerryShang replied on

I just got the same problem (same specs as op) - it is definitely a very recent update that broke it. I was running IE9 just fine - saw the updates came up, hit the update button - restarted to a broken IE9. The strange thing is that IE9 64 bit (as well as other browsers) works just fine, it's just the 32 bit version that's broken, and it's on selected websites like op mentioned. (but big ones like google..)

Other info
No add ons mode does nothing
Clearing all history and cache does nothing
Huge CPU usage on broken websites leading to crashes
FrolinMarek
Found this helpful 0
FrolinMarek replied on

Jerry, glad to hear someone else is having same issue after some recent update.  Sorry you are having the issue  - har....

In my case, both IE9 32bit and IE9 64bit do the same, both fail the same.

Rohit,  I checked my IE Version from Help and found,
   I have...  9.0.8112.16421,  in both 32 and 64bit version.
And found UpdateVersions said...  9.0.6
   and then it reflects...   ( KB2675157 )

Hum, a click on and find says it is a cumulative security update for IE9 for Win7 system on x64.

Well, I went to Control Panel, Programs, Updated and found it in the Windows section and removed it.  Restarted Win7,  tested IE9 and same issue,  no effect, no fix,  still hangs on various sites. 

And finding more sites that are now very sluggish, like the local TV stations when I went to check Radar maps of a storm rolling in tonight.  IE9 took near a minute to open, while Chrome opened and had me looking at the animated radar image 20 seconds and a sub-screen later.

So will probably reload the update,  but  I E 9  still has issues.

JerryShang
Found this helpful 0
JerryShang replied on

Jerry, glad to hear someone else is having same issue after some recent update.  Sorry you are having the issue  - har....

In my case, both IE9 32bit and IE9 64bit do the same, both fail the same.

Rohit,  I checked my IE Version from Help and found,
   I have...  9.0.8112.16421,  in both 32 and 64bit version.
And found UpdateVersions said...  9.0.6
   and then it reflects...   ( KB2675157 )

Hum, a click on and find says it is a cumulative security update for IE9 for Win7 system on x64.

Well, I went to Control Panel, Programs, Updated and found it in the Windows section and removed it.  Restarted Win7,  tested IE9 and same issue,  no effect, no fix,  still hangs on various sites. 

And finding more sites that are now very sluggish, like the local TV stations when I went to check Radar maps of a storm rolling in tonight.  IE9 took near a minute to open, while Chrome opened and had me looking at the animated radar image 20 seconds and a sub-screen later.

So will probably reload the update,  but  I E 9  still has issues.

I managed to fix the problem by reinstalling IE9.

That turned out to be quite the adventure in itself - the remove process via the installed updates page manage to end up with an error and after restart I end up not finding a windows with not even IE8 (all of the IE related files were gone and it's not in 'turn on/off windows features' even though IE8 is supposed to be a part of windows 7..) and any attempt at installing IE9 ends in failure. After much trying quite a few random things I managed to get IE9 to install after running the sfc /scannow command in admin command prompt. It did managed to find and fix quite a few corrupt files associated with IE. I'm not sure if that's the cause of the original problem or by the uninstallation but it's 1 more thing you can try.

Best.

FrolinMarek
Found this helpful 0
FrolinMarek replied on

Jerry,  I did uninstall IE9 and it went to IE8 originally, without effect.  Did this before and after the Win7 rebuild, no help.

That said, it seems my issue has gone away now.   I uninstalled the  KB2675157  cumulative IE security patch and restarted, and saw no difference.  Closed IE, logged out and went to dinner.  Came back later and tried, and now IE is working OK.

I can open Yahoo sites, Mapquest, Facebook and such ok.
I restarted the PC a couple times and retested, seems ok now.

Then guess what I find waiting in the Updates Bin, 13 more updates from Microsoft and one is  KB2699988  labeled also as...  Cumulative Security Update for I E 9.

Hum, well lets see, let the 13 updates apply and restart, including this one.  And seems that IE9 is still doing "ok" with all sites I have gone to.

Now I have to say, due to this hiccup from Microsoft with IE 9 and what I gather was a glitch in a cumulative update, which may have been a one-off routine update last week before my rebuild,  I have found Google Chrome to be smoother and faster in response.

Meaning, if I open Yahoo or Mapquest, Facebook or the local TV station news site, using I E 9 they do open ok with a couple seconds to load.

If I try the same sites in Google Chrome, they open a bit faster.  So goes to support what many say, Internet Explore is not as smooth or stable as Chrome  (or Firefox, which have not tried).

So Microsoft...  any confirmation that the  KB2675157  update causes IE connection issues to some sites? 
And how about IE performance, any clear fixes to improve it's general speed in opening sites?

-Update- next day, IE9 still working OK with sites it would not open yesterday.

Note:  am a long time Veteran I E user who has ignored the hype on Chrome and FireFox until recent days experiences with I E had forced me to use Chrome for normal web sites, and have to say it seems smoother.

Rohit Chettri
Found this helpful 0
Rohit Chettri replied on
Microsoft Forum Moderator

Hi,

I am glad that you were able to get the issues resolved. Thank you for sharing the resolution with us. It might help other community members who might be facing a similar issue. Please do post any queries in the future regarding Windows and we will be glad to assist.

Furthermore, I would also suggest you to go through the help article in the link mentioned below and check if changing some settings in Internet Explorer might help.

How to enable or disable software rendering in Internet Explorer 9

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2528233

You may download the standalone package for the Security update from the link mentioned below and check if the issue re-occurs.

Cumulative Security Update for Internet Explorer 9 in Windows 7 (KB2675157)

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=29342&lc=1033

Also refer:

Microsoft Security Bulletin MS12-023 - Critical

FrolinMarek
Found this helpful 0
FrolinMarek replied on

Microsoft Internet Explorer  - fails again

Well, so much for thinking a small hiccup with IE 9 is gone,  it's back.

Yesterday, started to find websites not opening again.
Same issue and sites about, you type link, sit and wait 20-30 seconds.

Some sites are pixel'ing the screen when open, like Yahoo home page.  Instead of pictures and graphical menu blocks and areas, you get text and some symbols.

So the trusty Google Chrome works fine, same sites.

For note, using  SpeedText.Net  show 20.1mbps download and 1.98 upload, so it's not a bad internet connection, is a screwed up Microsoft Internet Explorer system.

I uninstalled the recent IE Cumulative update,  KB2699988,  restarted and cold booted, no effect.

So...  any new settings to check or tricks to try, to resolve a IE issue?

FrolinMarek
Found this helpful 0
FrolinMarek replied on

Searching Microsoft, found a couple mentions of  KB2699988  causing IE 9 to fail.  Here is one of those threads...

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7itproinstall/thread/b866324c-4ad9-4dd3-b3cf-39529769b8ca

FrolinMarek
Found this helpful 1
FrolinMarek replied on

Have uninstalled every MS update found in recent days, no effect.

So wondering what the update did that unloading does not un-do.

Uninstalled I E 9 to go back to I E 8 and it fails now also.

Since other link reports several having issues after recent updates, am wondering what is broke and how to fix it, and when Microsoft will do so ?

Previous Previous Page of 7 Next Next