PrivateCD
Had this question 6
Question
PrivateCD asked on

How to stop the notice that ActiveX controls could not be displayed

Full message that appears:

One or more ActiveX controls could not be displayed because either:

1.      Your current security settings prohibit running ActiveX controls on this page, or
2.      You have blocked a publisher of one of the controls

As a result, the page may not display correctly.

I have found a couple of discussions re this but they concern "Project Guide" (have no idea what that is, don't have it) and MS Services.  Other discussions elsewhere involved Outlook, which I never use.

This appears randomly over web pages I try to access.

XP Home IE8 -- this didn't happen in IE6 (I bypassed IE7 as that was a disaster on my machine).

It is extremely annoying as I have get rid of it before I can do anything else at all.

Have tried tweaking in Internet Options, but nothing seems to work.

Worst of all, this NAGGING is simply to tell me something that was already done!  I really DON'T CARE! 

How can I get this nagging to go AWAY???

PA Bear MS MVP
Found this helpful 0
Answer
PA Bear MS MVP replied on

Please answer all of the following diagnostic questions by number in your very next reply (no need to quote this post):

1. Does the behavior persist if you start IE in No Add-ons mode?

=> Start | (All) Programs | Accessories | System Tools | Internet Explorer (No add-ons).

2. Does the behavior persist if you Reset IE Advanced settings & reboot?
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/923737

3. What anti-virus application or security suite is installed and is your subscription current?  What anti-spyware applications (other than Defender)?  What third-party firewall (if any)?

4. Has a(nother) Norton or McAfee application ever been installed on this machine?

5. Did a Norton or a McAfee free-trial come preinstalled on the computer when you bought it? (Doesn't matter if you never used or Activated it.)

6. Is it the same computer as in this earlier thread of yours? =>  http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/InternetExplorer/thread/49d26b58-97a2-4a96-9b47-c8feb371da83 

~Robear Dyer (PA Bear) ~ MS MVP (IE, Mail, Security, Windows & Update Services) since 2002 ~ Disclaimer: MS MVPs neither represent nor work for Microsoft
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
MS MVP-Windows Client (Security, Update Services, IE & Mail) since 2002
Thahaseena M
Found this helpful 0
Answer
Thahaseena M replied on
Microsoft

Hi,

I would suggest you to follow the steps mentioned below.

Method 1:

I would suggest you to follow the steps mentioned in the article given below.

How to troubleshoot Internet Explorer issues in Windows Vista and in Windows XP

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/936215

Method 2:

I would suggest you to uninstall and reinstall Internet explorer 8 on the system and check whether the issue is resolved. Follow the steps mentioned in the article given below.

How do I uninstall or remove Internet Explorer 8?

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/957700

Thank you and Regards.           

Thahaseena M
Microsoft Answers Support Engineer.
Visit our
Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think.

Thahaseena M
Found this helpful 0
Thahaseena M replied on
Microsoft

Hi,

·        When do you get this error message?

It is a mixture of having the Internet Explorer Security settings ‘too high’ and a setting in Outlook, Outlook Express or Windows Mail which needs to be changed.

In internet explorer.

a.       Open Internet explorer and click on tools.

b.      Click on Internet options and click on security tab.

c.       Click on Reset all zones to default level and click on apply and then ok.

Check whether the issue is resolved.

Set the security level to medium and check.

In Windows mail.

a.       Open Windows Mail click on Tools.

b.      Click on Options and then Security and Change ‘Restricted Sites Zone’ to ‘Internet Zone’ and deselect the ‘Block images and other external content’ box.

Check whether the issue is resolved.

Thank you and Regards.           

Thahaseena M
Visit our

PrivateCD
Found this helpful 0
PrivateCD replied on

Hi,

All zones are reset to Default.

I don't use Windows Mail or Outlook.

I still get the problem.  Randomly. 

Refreshing a page can get the error again, or no error.  Or a page that has no error can given an error upon refresh.

Some of the websites that are for computer problems give me that same error.

Perhaps the randomness is caused by a type of ad that is shown -- many sites use some sort of rotator to show a different ad when the page is refreshed.  I have not been able to track it down by looking at many souce pages.

This never happened with IE6.  IE8 is terrible in many other ways, specifically extremely slow to load and forcing the focus to the newly loading page instead of staying on the page.  For example, first page is a Google search results page, and I want to open several links.  Each time I click a link, the focus shifts to the new page, and I have to wait for loading, then go back, click the second link, focus forced to second page opening, then click back again to the Google page, and so on, down several pages.  Forced to wait for all loading pages one at a time with me forced to flip back and forth instead of while I stay on the Google page, plus wear and tear on hand and carpal tunnel syndrome.  Takes far too long and hurts.  That's why I don't like IE at all.  Any version.

However, I use Crazy Browser for many features it has that no other browser has, and it is based on IE.  I have found no other browser that does what I need. 

So I have to solve the IE problem in order to effectively use Crazy Browser.

Thahaseena M
Found this helpful 0
Answer
Thahaseena M replied on
Microsoft

Hi,

Method 1:

I would suggest you to follow the steps mentioned in the article given below.

How to troubleshoot Internet Explorer issues in Windows Vista and in Windows XP

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/936215

Method 2:

I would suggest you to uninstall and reinstall Internet explorer 8 on the system and check whether the issue is resolved. Follow the steps mentioned in the article given below.

How do I uninstall or remove Internet Explorer 8?

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/957700

Thank you and Regards.           

Thahaseena M
Visit our

PA Bear MS MVP
Found this helpful 0
Answer

Please answer all of the following diagnostic questions by number in your very next reply (no need to quote this post):

1. Does the behavior persist if you start IE in No Add-ons mode?

=> Start | (All) Programs | Accessories | System Tools | Internet Explorer (No add-ons).

2. Does the behavior persist if you Reset IE Advanced settings & reboot?
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/923737

3. What anti-virus application or security suite is installed and is your subscription current?  What anti-spyware applications (other than Defender)?  What third-party firewall (if any)?

4. Has a(nother) Norton or McAfee application ever been installed on this machine?

5. Did a Norton or a McAfee free-trial come preinstalled on the computer when you bought it? (Doesn't matter if you never used or Activated it.)

6. Is it the same computer as in this earlier thread of yours? =>  http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/InternetExplorer/thread/49d26b58-97a2-4a96-9b47-c8feb371da83 

~Robear Dyer (PA Bear) ~ MS MVP (IE, Mail, Security, Windows & Update Services) since 2002 ~ Disclaimer: MS MVPs neither represent nor work for Microsoft
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
RomLviv
Found this helpful 0
RomLviv replied on

Hey I get the same warning only when I open my Services.  I go to right click Mycomputer and Manage and then I click Services and get this warning

One or more ActiveX controls could not be displayed because either:

1.      Your current security settings prohibit running ActiveX controls on this page, or
2.      You have blocked a publisher of one of the controls

As a result, the page may not display correctly.

I am using WinXP Pro.  Any help would be appreciated, cause I've been searching the net for hours and cant find a solution.

PA Bear MS MVP
Found this helpful 0

@RomLviv & anyone else with a similar problem: To avoid confusion, please begin your own, new thread about YOUR specific problem and computer.  State your IE version and full Windows version (e.g., WinXP SP3; WinXP 64-bit SP2; Vista SP1; Vista 64-bit SP2; Win7; Win7 64-bit) in your first post.  Thank you.
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)