TerryBme
Had this question 1
Question
TerryBme asked on

How do I (completely REMOVE Blekko Search bar?

I am using IE8; OS is XP SP3.  I keep getting a request to add on the "Blekko Search Bar."  I have already tried the standard uninstall from Manage Add-ons; it didn't work.  I also deleted 3 folders after searching my PC using the term "Blekko."  How do I (completely) remove this unwanted Blekko toolbar?  Thanks!
Terry
TerryBme
Found this helpful 0
Answer
TerryBme replied on
  The suggestion for removing the Blekko Toolbar did not work.  I tried that originally, and a pop-up to add the Blekko Toolbar kept reappearing.  However, I did run a thorough scan using Avast Pro, which 110 infections - many of which were root-kits.  After removing the files I did another check with Sophos Virus Removal Tool which found one more infection.  As of today (04/09), I have been two days without the Blekko Toolbar.  If it pops up again I will simply reformat & reinstall my OEM XP SP2 and update everything.  Hopefully that will not be necessary.
  Thanks for the reply to my question.

Terry
Terry
Fahimulla K
Found this helpful 1
Fahimulla K replied on
Microsoft

Hi,

Is this an issue while accessing a particular website?

You may refer the article and check if it helps.

How to change or remove a program in Windows XP

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307895\

Also see:

How do I uninstall the blekko Spam Free Search Bar?

http://help.blekko.com/index.php/how-do-i-uninstall-search-bar/

How do I prevent programs from changing my default search provider?

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/How-do-I-prevent-programs-from-changing-my-default-search-provider

(Holds good for Windows XP)

TerryBme
Found this helpful 0
TerryBme replied on
I am using IE8; OS is XP SP3.  I keep getting a request to add on the "Blekko Search Bar."  I have already tried the standard uninstall from Manage Add-ons; it didn't work.  I also deleted 3 folders after searching my PC using the term "Blekko."  How do I (completely) remove this unwanted Blekko toolbar?  Thanks!

The Blekko toolbar monster is back!  When I open IE8, the message "A program on your computer has suggested a different search engine," or something very close to that.  I followed Blekko's online instructions to remove the toolbar.  It worked - for a while.  Now it's back.  Aside from what I have done (read 1st paragraph), I also uninstalled IE8, then reinstalled it.  That didn't work either.

Somewhere on my PC Blekko has a file, or files, that are causing this to happen.  I need to know the name(s) and containing folder(s) so they can be manually removed.

Thanks in advance, Terry

Terry
BobD123
Found this helpful 3
BobD123 replied on

This just worked for me after I tried everything else written on the web!

IE

Click on the the "Gear" in the upper right hand corner of your IE browser and "tools" will be highlighted, click on it.

Click on "Internet Options"

Click on the "Programs" tab

Click on "Manage Add Ons"

Find blekko in the list of "Search Providers" on the right side and click on it

Click on "Remove"

X out of this screen

Now click on the "General" tab

Highlight and remove blekko in the Home Page area and type in the URL of the home page you want.

Click "Use Current" button,

Click "Apply"

Click "OK"

Now you're done.

TerryBme
Found this helpful 0
Answer
TerryBme replied on
  The suggestion for removing the Blekko Toolbar did not work.  I tried that originally, and a pop-up to add the Blekko Toolbar kept reappearing.  However, I did run a thorough scan using Avast Pro, which 110 infections - many of which were root-kits.  After removing the files I did another check with Sophos Virus Removal Tool which found one more infection.  As of today (04/09), I have been two days without the Blekko Toolbar.  If it pops up again I will simply reformat & reinstall my OEM XP SP2 and update everything.  Hopefully that will not be necessary.
  Thanks for the reply to my question.

Terry
Terry
Fahimulla K
Found this helpful 0
Fahimulla K replied on
Microsoft

Hi TerryBme,

Thank you for sharing the information.

If you’ve any more Windows related queries, you may also post here at Microsoft answers.

linda176
Found this helpful 0
linda176 replied on

didn't work.  the blecco bar kept reappearing after deletion
Fahimulla K
Found this helpful 0
Fahimulla K replied on
Microsoft

Hi linda176,

Have you tried the troubleshooting steps suggested by me in my previous post?
wnd50
Found this helpful 0
wnd50 replied on

Thank You   learned something  today  8-)
Jean Luc_121
Found this helpful 0
Jean Luc_121 replied on

Did you try to uninstall it from the Windows Control Panel? I found some instructions here:

http://help.blekko.com/index.php/category/toolbar/