Brian Kitt
Had this question 52
Question
  • This thread is locked from future replies
Brian Kitt asked on

Why does IE 8 hang so much?

I was forced to upgrade to IE 8, because I'm a developer, and I need to be on IE 8 to support users that upgrade.  I cannot possibly express in words how disgusted I am with IE 8.  It hangs CONSTANTLY.  I simply close it, re-open it, and it works.  As a developer, this is maddening, because of the known problem in VS 2008, where you can only debug 4 times before you have to close and reopen VS 2008.  What is going on here.  I keep hoping for a fix, but so far, I have not seen a fix for this.

Oh, and it's NOT me.  I see people all over the place complaining about how much IE 8 hangs. Does Microsoft test anymore?  Over the last 3 years, the quality of software from Microsoft has taken a HUGE nose dive.  Office 2007, Vista, VS 2008, and IE 8.  All 4 of these are by far, the worst in their category that Microsoft has ever released.  I am very frustrated that Microsoft cannot test more.
Debbie - Support Engineer
Found this helpful 0
Debbie - Support Engineer replied on

Hi Brian Kitt,

Thanks for posting to answers.microsoft.com

We want to assist you with the situation experienced, let me ask if you have defined whether the issue is involving IE8 or possibly add-ons that may have been installed a long the way?

Here are some steps to troubleshoot for corrupted add-ons.

Please follow them and let us know if it is still hanging as you described.

What to do if Internet Explorer stops responding

Also

Reset Internet Explorer settings

Thank you

Debbie
Microsoft Answers Support Engineer
Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think.
Debbie Microsoft Answers Support Engineer Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum
Brian Kitt
Found this helpful 4
Brian Kitt replied on

Sorry, none of the above.

#) I've used Microsoft software long enough to know that you should never change default settings, because then you are on your own, so I don't do that.
#) I've used Microsoft software long enough to know that you don't do plugins that are non Micrsoft, again, for the reason above.
#) I never had this problem with IE7.  I just recently put in IE8, and it hangs maybe every 4 or 5 times I bring it up.  I only just recently rebuilt my machine to Vista Ultimate POS. 
#) I've been a developer for almost 20 years, and to this day, have never had a virus infection.  I'm careful, and I always keep anti-virus/anti-spyware active.
#) I normally don't like to keep bleeding edge, because that makes me bleed too much.  However, in an effort to fight this problem, I've made sure I am completely current, to no avail.

There appears to be something that I.E. is doing at startup.  I don't know if it's calling home, or what, but it's doing something at startup, where I just get a white page, and no response, EVER.  I've let it sit for 20 minutes in the past, and not gotten a response.

I simply close it, reopen it, and it works fine.  Nothing is ever reported on the 'windows problems' database, or event log that I can see.

This is VERY VERY frustrating.  I was already frustrated with how poor quality Office 2007 (the stupid connecting printer bug specifically), Vista (all the slowness and hangups) and VS 2008 (tons and tons of bugs).  Now I add IE 8 to it, and just get more and more frustrated.  All I can say, is Microsoft is truly doing everything they can to support competitor software, by taking themselves out of any serious competitive stance.
Joseph - Support Engineer
Found this helpful 0
Joseph - Support Engineer replied on

Hi Brian,

Sorry to hear that you have had those experiences with Microsoft software recently.  Have you tried to reinstall Internet Explorer 8?  It’s possible that it did not install properly.

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/internet-explorer/?ocid=ie8_s_ad7fa1d4-a75b-4df7-ad63-f581977282a8
Thanks for using the Answers Forum. Please let us know how this works out.

Joseph
Brian Kitt
Found this helpful 3
Brian Kitt replied on

I did not try to uninstall, and reinstall, but I will try that today.

I develop on 3 different machines.  One XP, two Vista machines.  These are not virtual machines, but real machines.  I have the same exact problem on all 3.  I suppose it's technically possible that I could have somehow had the install fail on all 3 without giving any warning on all 3, but since I know of so many other people complaining of the same issue, the common denominator appears to be that IE 8 is just having major issues at start up.  It's doing something at startup, that is causing it to frequently hang at exactly the same point.  Always just giving me a white screen, and locking up my machine.

Once I'm in it, it's not so bad.  But as a web developer, I'm starting and stopping IE sometimes 40 or 50 times a day.  When it hangs every 3 or 4 times I start it, that means that I get it hanging 10 or so times per day.  So you can see why it is so frustrating.  IE 7 never did this.  For what it's worth, rebooting my machine does help. I've noticed that after it hangs about 5 or 6 times, then it starts to hang maybe every other time, rather than every 4 times.  So I'll reboot, and then I get back to it hanging every 3 or 4 times, rather than every other time.  So whatever the problem is, it appears to be an accumulative problem.

I will uninstall and reinstall later today, but I have to be honest.  I have more faith that I'll walk to the local Kwik Shop and buy the winning lottery ticket, than I do that uninstall and reinstall will make any difference.  I just can't imagine how I could have had the install fail on 3 different machines (with no errors), and somehow, uninstall and reinstall will make it right on all 3 machines.
Rami - Support Engineer
Found this helpful 0
Rami - Support Engineer replied on

Brian Kitt,
Do you have any common software running on all 3 of your machines? especially anything with high ram usage or scans?
What happens if you set your homepage to blank, does this alleviate the issue?

If you open Internet Explorer 8 in several windows without first working in them (building memory usage), do they still hang? or is this only occurring when you work on your browser in sessions?

Does this occur if you open multiple sessions of the IE with no add-ons? is there any noticeable performance difference with them? 

I would like you to go ahead and test your Internet Explorer 8 in a clean boot environment:

Clean Boot

Test in a Clean Boot environment to see if this issue is related to interference from other services / programs:

1.Click Start, type msconfig in the Start Search box, and then press ENTER. (If you are prompted for an administrator password or for a confirmation, type the password, or click Continue.)

2.On the General tab, click Selective Startup.

3.Under Selective Startup, click to clear the Load Startup Items check box.

4.Click the Services tab, click to select the Hide All Microsoft Services check box, and then click Disable All.

5.Click OK.

6.When you are prompted, click Restart.

7.Log back into your Account.

---------------------------------------------------

Test your Internet Explorer browser sessions here, how is your performance?

If the problem does not return while your computer is in a clean boot mode, a background program is likely causing interference.

You may determine which background program is causing the problem through following the steps (Begin at enable half of the Services items) in the below linked article:

How to perform a clean boot procedure to determine whether background programs are interfering with a game or a program that you currently use

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/331796

To restore your Normal startup:

1.Click Start, type msconfig in the Start Search box, and then press ENTER. (If you are prompted for an administrator password or for a confirmation, type the password, or click Continue.)

2.On the General tab, click Normal Startup.

3.When you are prompted, click Restart.

Rami
Rami
Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us
Brian Kitt
Found this helpful 3
Brian Kitt replied on

I uninstalled, and re-installed IE 8 on my main developement machine last night.  It made no difference.
That machine is a Toshiba Satellite X205-S7483, upgraded to 4GB, upgrade to Windows Vista Ultimate 32 bit (I have MSDN).
This is strictly a development machine, that I rarely use on the internet.  I do use IE 8 constantly, because I do internet development.
For the most part, I have only MS software, and a few various utilities for doing development.  No games, no music, no pirate software, no P2P.
Adobe Reader 9.1
avast! Antivurs
BlackBerry Desktop Software 4.3
VS 2008 (full install, all components)
Office 2007 (full install, all components)
SQL 2008 (full install, all components)
SpyBot

a few other misc software, but these are the big ones.

I will do the clean boot tonight and see what happens.
Brian Kitt
Found this helpful 3
Brian Kitt replied on

I did a clean boot, but it still hangs every 3 or 4 times I go into it.  I then just click the red x, and start over.  It always works the next time.

I've talked to more technicians about this in the last couple of days.  A LOT of people are experiencing this and they just live with it.  Truth be told, Windows Vista has people so used to waiting, that people are just living with the hanging problems.  Personally, I think this is a really sad commentary on Microsoft that the software is getting so bad, that people just expect to have a lot of hanging and waiting problems, and they live with them.  I am encouraging people to report these problems.  I hope that if enough people report the problems, Microsoft will realize that it is not acceptable to have software that is this slow.  It's amazing that I can be on a 2+ GHZ machine with 4 GB of RAM, and still have frequent hanging problems with software. 
Bitnik1
Found this helpful 3
Bitnik1 replied on

I can chime in here and say that I have very similar issues...brand new Dell Inspiron 530, Vista Home Basic - have not had any time to install much that could generate WinRot yet!  Took the IE8 automatic update like a good little user, and Lo - EVERY time I start IE after the PC is idle for long enough to invoke monitor shutdown, IE8 is hung.  I close with the X, then it starts like usual on another icon click.  I haven't tried to kill and restart it to count how many fails vs. opens I get, but sheeesh!   I will be watching to see if any solution is posted here...

Nick p
shiukei828
Found this helpful 3
shiukei828 replied on

I can chime in here and say that I have very similar issues...brand new Dell Inspiron 530, Vista Home Basic - have not had any time to install much that could generate WinRot yet!  Took the IE8 automatic update like a good little user, and Lo - EVERY time I start IE after the PC is idle for long enough to invoke monitor shutdown, IE8 is hung.  I close with the X, then it starts like usual on another icon click.  I haven't tried to kill and restart it to count how many fails vs. opens I get, but sheeesh!   I will be watching to see if any solution is posted here...

Nick p

Same here in HONG KONG using XP Professional SP3 and IE8..... It keeps hanging..... my ctrl-alt-del is wearing out of color.

I guess EVERYBODY including those guys in MICROSOFT knows about this and also complaining about their IE8... I strongly believe that MS already received tons of error report on IE8, but to the benefit of the company of course they do not dare to speak a word of it. 

It does not matter what the hardware config. or Windows version you have, I even tried to view all websites in compatability view, hoping that will use the IE7 engine - no luck at all. The problem did not happen on IE7, the IE8 team did a great job to screw up their internet browser product family.

sigh..... it reminds me the days of IE 3.0
Bitnik1
Found this helpful 1
Bitnik1 replied on

Well luckily if it's that widespread, hopefully one of those "important update"'s to Internet Explorer will come unassumingly along and get installed without any fanfare and the problem will inexplicably vanish...
Previous Previous Page of 8 Next Next