Viperkill
Had this question 4
Question
Viperkill asked on

Missing Tool bars, address bar, back and forward button

I am using Windows XP Pro SP 3, IE8 and Windows Search. My problem started after I uninstalled Windows Search.

The toolbars, address bars, back and forward button (basically everything) are missing.

I tried F11, deleting the registry as stated in Article ID 962963, run the fix it application but still not working.

I tried Reinstalling IE8 and Windows Search multiple times but the problem is still there.

I'm currently using CTRL+O in order to type a website.

I ask my friend to login using different login account, IE8 is working fine.

PA Bear MS MVP
Found this helpful 0
Answer
PA Bear MS MVP replied on

If I [uninstall IE7 and] use IE6, everything is OK.

The above suggests that all components of the Norton application (i.e., anti-virus; anti-spyware; firewall) were running in the background when you installed and/or uninstalled IE7, IE8, Windows Search, and/or SP3.

As it's a company-owned laptop, I'm remiss to offer any further suggestions other than the following:

My personal recommendations for installing (and uninstalling) IE8 include:

=> Install IE8 manually, not via Windows Update/Automatic Updates!!
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/internet-explorer/worldwide-sites.aspx

NB WinXP users: Save the installer to your desktop, do not Run it.  When you're prepared to install IE8, double-click on the saved file.

NB Vista users: Save the installer to your desktop, do not Run it.  When you're prepared to install IE8, right-click on the saved file and select Run as Administator.

=> Uninstall all third-party toolbars (e.g., Google; Yahoo; Windows Live; Norton) and third-party Windows Themes before installing IE8. [In your case, disable any/all Norton Add-ons, too.]

=> Close all open applications (i.e., anything with a taskbar icon) before installing or uninstalling IE8.

=> I would strongly recommend disabling your anti-virus application and any anti-spyware application's "system protections" (other than Defender's) before installing (or uninstalling) an IE upgrade.  If you're running a third-party firewall, I would recommend disabling it and then enabling the Windows Firewall before installing (or uninstalling) an IE upgrade.

=> Never, EVER use System Restore to "undo" an update, Service Pack, or IE upgrade!  Instead, uninstall the update, Service Pack, or IE upgrade & reboot.  If that doesn't correct the problem, then try System Restore. [Norton users will need to see  http://bertk.mvps.org/html/symantecdoc1.html]

NB WinXP users=> Reboot twice after installing or uninstalling IE8, then go to http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com | Select CUSTOM and scan | Install any Critical Security Updates offered (i.e., KB2183461).  If a Root Certificates update is listed (possibly in the Optional Updates category on the left), install it to take full advantage of IE's enhanced security.

NB Vista users=> Reboot twice after installing or uninstalling IE8, then check-in at Windows Update and install any critical security updates offered (i.e., KB2183461).

~Robear Dyer (PA Bear) ~ MS MVP (IE, Mail, Security, Windows & Update Services) since 2002 ~ Disclaimer: MS MVPs neither represent nor work for Microsoft
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
MS MVP-Windows Client (Security, Update Services, IE & Mail) since 2002
PA Bear MS MVP
Found this helpful 0

Please answer all of the following diagnostic questions by number in your next reply (no need to quote this post):

1. What happens when you press the F11 key once? What happens when you then press it a second time?

2. Did you run the Fix It in http://support.microsoft.com/kb/962963, reboot & test?

3. Does the behavior persist if you uninstall IE8 and do NOT reinstall it?

• How to uninstall or remove Internet Explorer 8
      http://support.microsoft.com/kb/957700

4. Have you ever had occasion to do a Repair Install for any reason?

5. What anti-virus application or security suite is installed and is your subscription current?  What anti-spyware applications (other than Defender)?  What third-party firewall (if any)?

6. Has a(nother) Norton or McAfee application ever been installed on the computer?

7. Did a Norton or McAfee free-trial come preinstalled on the computer when you bought it? (Doesn't matter if you never used or Activated it.)

~Robear Dyer (PA Bear) ~ MS MVP (IE, Mail, Security, Windows & Update Services) since 2002 ~ Disclaimer: MS MVPs neither represent nor work for Microsoft
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
Viperkill
Found this helpful 0
Viperkill replied on

Thank you for taking the time responding to my inquiry. 

1.The bar that has minimize, restore and close disappears. What is left is the webpage and the status bar at the bottom.

2. Yes i did run Fix It multiple times, rebooted but still the same.

3. If I use IE6, everything is OK. Tried IE 7 and got the same issue. I removed IE8 using add/remove program and SPUNINSTALL from the command prompt

4. I haven't done any repair install

5. I'm using Norton (company licensed). I do not have any anti-spyware installed. I have altiris client service installed.

6. This is a company issued laptop, and our IT can't figure out what's the problem. I'm thinking this is not a policy issue this i was able to use IE8 before I removed windows search 4.0

PA Bear MS MVP
Found this helpful 0
Answer

If I [uninstall IE7 and] use IE6, everything is OK.

The above suggests that all components of the Norton application (i.e., anti-virus; anti-spyware; firewall) were running in the background when you installed and/or uninstalled IE7, IE8, Windows Search, and/or SP3.

As it's a company-owned laptop, I'm remiss to offer any further suggestions other than the following:

My personal recommendations for installing (and uninstalling) IE8 include:

=> Install IE8 manually, not via Windows Update/Automatic Updates!!
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/internet-explorer/worldwide-sites.aspx

NB WinXP users: Save the installer to your desktop, do not Run it.  When you're prepared to install IE8, double-click on the saved file.

NB Vista users: Save the installer to your desktop, do not Run it.  When you're prepared to install IE8, right-click on the saved file and select Run as Administator.

=> Uninstall all third-party toolbars (e.g., Google; Yahoo; Windows Live; Norton) and third-party Windows Themes before installing IE8. [In your case, disable any/all Norton Add-ons, too.]

=> Close all open applications (i.e., anything with a taskbar icon) before installing or uninstalling IE8.

=> I would strongly recommend disabling your anti-virus application and any anti-spyware application's "system protections" (other than Defender's) before installing (or uninstalling) an IE upgrade.  If you're running a third-party firewall, I would recommend disabling it and then enabling the Windows Firewall before installing (or uninstalling) an IE upgrade.

=> Never, EVER use System Restore to "undo" an update, Service Pack, or IE upgrade!  Instead, uninstall the update, Service Pack, or IE upgrade & reboot.  If that doesn't correct the problem, then try System Restore. [Norton users will need to see  http://bertk.mvps.org/html/symantecdoc1.html]

NB WinXP users=> Reboot twice after installing or uninstalling IE8, then go to http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com | Select CUSTOM and scan | Install any Critical Security Updates offered (i.e., KB2183461).  If a Root Certificates update is listed (possibly in the Optional Updates category on the left), install it to take full advantage of IE's enhanced security.

NB Vista users=> Reboot twice after installing or uninstalling IE8, then check-in at Windows Update and install any critical security updates offered (i.e., KB2183461).

~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
Viperkill
Found this helpful 0
Viperkill replied on

Thanks for the help.
PA Bear MS MVP
Found this helpful 0

YW 
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)