Question
Mpspears asked on

ie 8 browser history will not clear

Ie9 browser history will not clear

KRiMiNaL
Found this helpful 25
Answer
KRiMiNaL replied on

Seems I found a quick solution, Click the Start button>Control Panel>System And Maintenance>Indexing Options, Click on Internet Explorer History, Click ADVANCED, Click RESTORE DEFAULTS. Problem Solved!
Joseph - Support Engineer
Found this helpful 1
Answer
Joseph - Support Engineer replied on

Hi All,

.  I suggest you use the links below to assist you in scanning for Viruses and spyware.  Your browser maybe hijacked.    No one program can catch them all.

Vista One Care

http://onecare.live.com/site/en-us/center/whatsnew.htm

Virus scan help

http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Windows/en-US/Help/5c08774a-6602-490d-ba33-faed5c8939911033.mspx

Spyware scan help

http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/vistasecurity/thread/fa30853d-719a-4265-9e7b-9287567d31e3

Thanks for using the Answers Forum. Please let us know how this works out.

Joseph
Microsoft Answers Support Engineer
Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think.
Zack - Support Engineer
Found this helpful 1
Zack - Support Engineer replied on
Hello Mpspears,

Thank you for posting.  I'm not sure if you mean to just clear the history or clear the temporary files of Internet Explorer.  So I've included a link below that will show you how to do both and clear histories in other Windows applications as well.

http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/windows/en-us/search.aspx?=&qu=clear+history

Please let me know if this helps you.
Zack
Microsoft Answers Support Engineer Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think.
Mpspears
Found this helpful 0
Mpspears replied on
No, I've tried the normal methods of clearing history, including the link you sent.  no matter what I've tried, two links continue to stay in my history.
Zack - Support Engineer
Found this helpful 1
Zack - Support Engineer replied on

Hello Mpspears,

Thank you for posting.  The link I gave you was very comprehensive and included ways to delete histories and files in various places and programs.  Try going though some more of the steps listed there as it has a list that's four pages long.

Zack
Microsoft Answers Support Engineer Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think.
Mpspears
Found this helpful 1
Mpspears replied on

I've gone thru the list and retried the solutions,  they all seem to be the same basic solution.  it does not seem to matter if you try the route using the safety tab or tools, ie properties. bottom line, no matter what I do, there are two links that reappear in the history.  I've even tried deleting them directly from the history using the delete x that appears next to the link when you mouse over it.  I've ran Norton Antivirus, Windows live safety check and find no virus, etc.  If I knew where and how IE 8 stores or encrypts the file, I might be able to target these specific links.  I've tried to reset to no avail also.

I can hide them by turning off autocomplete, but this is not a solution.

Delete AutoComplete saved information in Internet Explorer 8

Open Internet Options by clicking the Start button , clicking Control Panel, clicking Network and Internet, and then clicking Internet Options.

Click the Safety button, and then click Delete Browsing History.

Select the check boxes next to Form data and Passwords.

Select the Preserve Favorites website data check box if you do not want to delete the form data and passwords associated with websites in your Favorites list.

Click Delete.

Another user, Zack - Support Engineer, has replied to a thread you have subscribed to in the Internet Explorer Forum.

Thread Title ie 8 browser history will not clear
Started by: Mpspears

Reply:

Hello Mpspears,

Thank you for posting.  The link I gave you was very comprehensive and included ways to delete histories and files in various places and programs.  Try going though some more of the steps listed there as it has a list that's four pages long.

Zack

The Microsoft Developer Network

David. F
Found this helpful 0
David. F replied on
Microsoft

Hello, Mpspears

What links are not disappearing from the list?
What category are the links listed under? History? Favorites?

We look forward to hearing back from you.

David
-----
If you can't fix it with duct tape, you haven't used enough.
Mpspears
Found this helpful 0
Mpspears replied on

there are two links to sites that will not disappear from the history.  There is no problem with the favorites.  It's almost as if the history file was corupt and will not allow those two to be deleted.  However, if I go to another site, it can be removed and will not reappear.  It there someplace, perhaps a hidden file that the history is kept?  If so, can it be deleted manually? 

David. F
Found this helpful 0
David. F replied on
Microsoft

Hello, Mpspears

To clarify, are you referring to the History list, and not the address bar drop down history?

If so, what happens when you try to delete the links from the history list?

Internet Explorer stores the history at the following location: C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\History

We look forward to hearing back from you.

David
-----
If you can't fix it with duct tape, you haven't used enough.
Mpspears
Found this helpful 0
Mpspears replied on

Actually, I am refering to the address bar drop down history. 

The histoy list does not display the links and will clear when the delete process is executed.

is the address bar drop down history stored elsewhere?
p34m23
Found this helpful 0
p34m23 replied on

I am having the same problem as Mpspears.
You cannot delete the history or the favorites in the Drop Down Address Bar. IE 8 now has a feature that lists History and Favorites in the drop down. It lists some history above the "History" title then more detailed history below the "History" title. The history above the title goes away as it always has by deleting through tools - options, etc., etc. but the random history below the "History" title just as randomly appears and disappears - the "Favorites" title has the same problem.
vaxxbell
Found this helpful 1
vaxxbell replied on

I am having the exact same problem.  I have gone through all the steps as prescribed, but if i type in the first 2 letters, for example "st", in the address bar, it displays the site I wanted removed from my history.  Please provide solution.  Thanks.
Previous Previous Page of 11 Next Next