TamBob
Had this question 4
Question
TamBob asked on

How can I download IE8 for windows 7

I have just installed Windows 7 - Home Premium 32 bit OEM edition in the European Union (UK actually) and it does NOT include IE8.  This is due to an agreement with the European Commision which fined Microsoft, and the result is that versions sold here do not include IE8 anymore.

I have tried various ways to download a version. First installing Google Chrome and visiting Microsoft download site, but it will not download as it says you are running Windows 7 which includes IE8.

I tried downloading an Add-on for IE8, and it said I did not have IE8 - download it now. Clicked the link and it took me back to MS download centre which then said I was running Windows 7 which includes IE8.

So going round in circles getting nowhere.  I tried alternative download sites, Cnet, File Hippo etc but they all redirected me to MS download centre, no result.

I tried installing IE8 for XP but it rejected that.

I tried my other computer using XP but running IE8 & once again at the download centre it says, you are already running IE8, so it would not allow a download.

Any solutions, since Microsoft apparently said you could get a copy on disk etc, but there are no links to order that, and all download sites never offer IE8 for Win7 only earlier versions of Windows.

PA Bear MS MVP
Found this helpful 0
Answer
PA Bear MS MVP replied on

You may have installed IE8 but perhaps you hadn't enabled access to it (or "turned-on IE8"). See...

HOW TO Turn Windows features on or off
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/Turn-Windows-features-on-or-off

~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
MS MVP-Windows Client (Security, Update Services, IE & Mail) since 2002
Tomas Dabasinskas
Found this helpful 0
Tomas Dabasinskas replied on
MVP
You've mentioned that you've already tried to download IE8 from FileHippo and that it redirects you to Microsoft site. That shouldn't happen since FileHippo hosts all files themselves.There's direct FileHippo link to download IE8 .
Microsoft Student Partner
TamBob
Found this helpful 0
TamBob replied on

Hi - Thanks for quick reply.  You are right that Filehippo did not rediect but it only offered IE8 for Vista not Windows 7 and it would not work either.  On running the installation it said this version is not supported and threw me out again.
PA Bear MS MVP
Found this helpful 0

Start here: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-gb/windows/what-is-the-browser-choice-update 

If the Browser Choice update (KB976002) hasn't been offered by Automatic Updates [1] by the time you read this post, it should be offered when you run a manual check for updates. [2]

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
[1] Understanding Windows automatic updating:
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Understanding-Windows-automatic-updating

[2] How can I tell if my computer is up to date?
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/How-can-I-tell-if-my-computer-is-up-to-date

~Robear Dyer (PA Bear) ~ MS MVP (IE, Mail, Security, Windows & Update Services) since 2002 ~ Disclaimer: MS MVPs neither represent nor work for Microsoft
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
TamBob
Found this helpful 0
TamBob replied on

Hi Guys,  Thanks for the help.  It seems that Internet Explorer 8 is on my machine but carefully hidden away. I have manually done updates several times and now checked then to find that there have been 3 for IE8.

So did a search for 'Internet Explorer' and nothing.  On the start button and all the list of programmes also no sign of it. Checked the 'Add remove Programmes' again no sign.

Then went to Windows Explorer, Program files and there was a folder 'Internet Explorer' checking it I found the exe file clicked it hey presto it was there.

So problem now solved, but why should it be so difficult? Who knows.

Cheers

PA Bear MS MVP
Found this helpful 0
Answer

You may have installed IE8 but perhaps you hadn't enabled access to it (or "turned-on IE8"). See...

HOW TO Turn Windows features on or off
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/Turn-Windows-features-on-or-off

~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
JieLCerdiña
Found this helpful 0
JieLCerdiña replied on

what is the current IE version you have therE?

if that is IE9 all you have to do is uninstall IE9 and reboot your computer.

after the reboot it will automatically give you IE8.

to remove IE9:

1. Go to Control panel > Add Remove Programs

2: on the RIght Panel click View Installed Updates

3. search for Internet Explorer

4. Uninstall

5. Reboot.

Cheers and enjoy!

PA Bear MS MVP
Found this helpful 0

Note: This thread dates from 05 September 2010, ten (10) days before IE9 Beta was released.
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
JieLCerdiña
Found this helpful 0
JieLCerdiña replied on

ooopppssss... sorry...didn't see it... :)...
Mary S
Found this helpful 0
Mary S replied on

Hi Jiel
You cannot uninstall IE9.  Following your instructions above, you will not find Internet Explorer in the Control Panel. They will not let you uninstall. I have tried it. Have you? Thanks for trying to help with this, but a gentle reminder: you should try before you post.