Ted Post
Had this question 16
Question
Ted Post asked on

explorer 8 search provider add on error message

I just installed explorer 8 on a XP machine. I have google set as my only search provider. Every time I open explorer it opens and then a pop up box comes up and states another program is preventing my original search provider and I must change settings. I have no othe programs running and no matter what I do this box wont go away

Hans Le Roy
Found this helpful 1
Answer
Hans Le Roy replied on

Hi,

I still think on some kind of "protection" software but I found three other suggestions at http://loveamongtheruins.wordpress.com/2009/03/28/update-ie-8-error-search-default-provider-error-a-program-on-your-computer-has-corrupted-your-default-search-provider-setting-for-internet-explorer/:

1. Make sure IE 8 is closed then navigate to registry key: HKEY_CURRENT_USER/Software/Microsoft/Windows/CurrentVersion/Explorer/User Shell Folders - Add a new “Expandable String value” inside the above mentioned key with a value name of “AppData” and a value data of “%USERPROFILE%Application Data” - Reopen IE 8 and see if you still get the error message

2. Delete the key HKEY_CURRENT_USER/Software/Microsoft/Internet Explorer/User Preferences

3. Under HKEY_CURRENT_USER/Software/Microsoft/Internet Explorer/SearchUrl there is a key (default) that might be corrupted.
My default serach providr is is Bink and that key reads
http://g.msn.co.uk/0SEENWW/SAOS01?FORM=TOOLBR

Kind regards

Hans
Hans Le Roy
Found this helpful 0
Hans Le Roy replied on
Hi Ted,

That could be the effect of some security software montoring your search provider, or it could be some malware (in which case I'd run MS Malicious Software Removal Tool and Spybot).

Kind regards

Hans
rrswan
Found this helpful 0
rrswan replied on
I've used Norton,Malicious software tool,Avast,Spybot,Pestpatrol to no avail. Can't anyone tell mus how to resolve this problem!!
Robert Aldwinckle on forums
Found this helpful 0
Robert Aldwinckle on forums replied on

"Ted Post" <=?utf-8?B?VGVkIFBvc3Q=?=> wrote

>I just installed explorer 8 on a XP machine. I have google set as my only search provider. Every time I open explorer it opens and
>then a pop up box comes up and states another program is preventing my original search provider and I must change settings. I have
>no othe programs running and no matter what I do this box wont go away

Where does it open? E.g. since you "just installed" IE8 perhaps
you haven't yet visited its welcome page? You must visit that page
in order to get your own Home page back again. Then, if it is while
visiting that page you were trying to specify a new search one of your
security products might be noticing that change being made by a web
page and disallowing it. In that case I would let the defaults stand,
e.g. not try to make any changes using the web page but make them
later using the Internet Options Control Panel applet.
E.g. Run... (as Administrator if necessary) control.exe inetcpl.cpl

Good luck

Robert Aldwinckle
---

rrswan
Found this helpful 0
rrswan replied on

This happens every time I go online. I've tried your Internet Options idea and the doesn't work either.
Robert Aldwinckle on forums
Found this helpful 0
Robert Aldwinckle on forums replied on

"rrswan" <=?utf-8?B?cnJzd2Fu?=> wrote in message news:0579076e-fa0c-4d1c-91ef-65545b47a1df...
> This happens every time I go online. I've tried your Internet Options idea and the doesn't work either.

You're not giving us good feedback. Remember, your words have to
substitute for what our eyes might notice!

---

rrswan
Found this helpful 0
rrswan replied on

OK- When I get on the Internet I get this box; "A program on your computer has corrupted your default search provider settings for Internet Explorer.

Internet Explorer has reset this setting to your original search provider, Bing (www.bing.com)

Internet Explorer will now open Search Settings, where you can change this setting or install more search providers."
When I hit OK it goes to the Manage Add-ons Screen. Quite annoying! Same problem Ted Post is having.
Hans Le Roy
Found this helpful 1
Answer
Hans Le Roy replied on

Hi,

I still think on some kind of "protection" software but I found three other suggestions at http://loveamongtheruins.wordpress.com/2009/03/28/update-ie-8-error-search-default-provider-error-a-program-on-your-computer-has-corrupted-your-default-search-provider-setting-for-internet-explorer/:

1. Make sure IE 8 is closed then navigate to registry key: HKEY_CURRENT_USER/Software/Microsoft/Windows/CurrentVersion/Explorer/User Shell Folders - Add a new “Expandable String value” inside the above mentioned key with a value name of “AppData” and a value data of “%USERPROFILE%Application Data” - Reopen IE 8 and see if you still get the error message

2. Delete the key HKEY_CURRENT_USER/Software/Microsoft/Internet Explorer/User Preferences

3. Under HKEY_CURRENT_USER/Software/Microsoft/Internet Explorer/SearchUrl there is a key (default) that might be corrupted.
My default serach providr is is Bink and that key reads
http://g.msn.co.uk/0SEENWW/SAOS01?FORM=TOOLBR

Kind regards

Hans
jsapyta
Found this helpful 0
jsapyta replied on

I'm getting the same messages from bing, to google at times, each time I run IE8 the manage add-on box comes up and it shows two googles in there.

What can I do???

jennbonn777
Found this helpful 0
jennbonn777 replied on
I too keep getting the same message!  I uninstalled ie8 and went back to ie7 and everything is fine.  I would like to install ie8, but after doing it twice with the same result, I think I will stay with ie7 or maybe try the new Firefox.
pennymh
Found this helpful 0
pennymh replied on

jennbonn777:   after dealing with this problem and being totally frustrated, i'd like to uninstall IE8 and go back to IE7... but I was told by a tech from my cable provider (was working on a problem at my home and I asked him about this...) said you cannot uninstall IE8.  Since you've done it, can you tell me how...    I'm not a tech or an IT person... just a regular user so a lot of what I read here is a little daunting.   I'm running Windows XP SP3.   Thanks.
Previous Previous Page of 2 Next Next