wpgkayak
Had this question 3
Question
wpgkayak asked on

AppName: iexplore.exe_ AppVer: 8.0.6001.18702_ ModName: entapi.dll__ModVer: 8.0.0.240_ Offset: 0000368a____

I did a security update on my computer today.  Included in the updates was Internet Explorer 8.  Everything seemed to install just find.  After the reboot, internet explorer would not work.

After uninstalling explorer 8 I tried reinstalling an earlier version of explorer, but it would not install properly.

I had to use another computer to download firefox - which I have never used before, so that I could gain the internet back on my computer.

I tried reinstalling Internet Explorer 8 several times.  Each time I try to run it I get the above error message.

When I updated my second computer, I did not install the Internet Explorer 8, everything else installed just fine.  After the reboot I tried running Internet Explorer 7 which was installed on that computer.  It will not start at all.

When I went back to complete additional updates, because I am running firefox it would not let me. 

So I am in a catch 22 position.  Microsoft Internet explorer will not install and will not work, and I can no longer update security patches.

wpgkayak
Found this helpful 0
Answer
wpgkayak replied on

I finally have IE7 reinstalled and working.
What I had to do.
Uninstall IE8
do a system restore, IE7 still would not install so and the remove button was not available
Uninstalled service pack 3, this allowed me to uninstall IE7
Reinstalled service pack 3
reinstalled IE7, IE7 still would not work
reset on internet options
Now I have to reinstall all of the service pack updates.
will do them 1 at a time checking to see which one interferes with IE

Thahaseena M
Found this helpful 0
Thahaseena M replied on
Microsoft

Hi Wpgkayak,

Welcome to Microsoft Answers Forums.

We would like to get a better understanding of this issue so we can better assist not only you but other users with similar problems as well. 

a)      Which Operating system do you use?

Method 1:

Uninstall Internet Explorer 8 completely download the standalone package from Microsoft and install it in safe mode.

Step 1:

Download the standalone package from the website mentioned below.

Windows Internet Explorer 8 for Windows Vista or Windows Server 2008

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?displaylang=en&FamilyID=79154fb4-c610-4a1e-811d-dfe0f1dd84d1

Step 2:

To use a Safe mode option, follow these steps:

1.      Restart your computer and start pressing the F8 key on your keyboard. Select safe mode from the menu.

Then try installing Internet Explorer 8 in safe mode.

Method 2:

You can fix Internet Explorer 8 installation problems follow the steps mentioned below and refer to the article mentioned below for further assistance.

To fix this problem automatically.

1.      Click the Fix this problem link in the below mentioned article.

2.      Then click Run in the File Download dialog box and follow the steps in this wizard.

How to solve Internet Explorer 8 installation problems

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/949220

Method 3:

You can also perform a system restore and restore the computer back to the time when it was working fine. Follow the steps mentioned below.

Open System Restore by.

1.      Click the Start button.

2.      Click All Programs.

3.      Click Accessories

4.      Click System Tools and then click System Restore.

If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

For further reference check the article mentioned below.

System Restore: frequently asked questions

http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Windows/en-US/Help/517d3b8e-3379-46c1-b479-05b30d6fb3f01033.mspx

Hope this information is helpful.

Thank you and Regards.           

Thahaseena M
Microsoft Answers Support Engineer.
Visit our
Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think.

wpgkayak
Found this helpful 0
wpgkayak replied on

I use XP Pro on both of my computers.

I have tried the install of IE8 via safe mode -- it did not work.

I went to this link http://support.microsoft.com/kb/949220
and used the FIX IT program -- that did not work either.

Thank you for the suggestions - I wish one of them had worked.

On my second computer, also running XP Pro, when doing the security updates, I did not install IE8.  But there were similar results.  IE7 which is installed on that computer no longer runs. 

Therefore, I think the problem is being caused by one of the other security patches that ran.

wpgkayak
Found this helpful 0
wpgkayak replied on

I tried a system restore, the restore itself worked.  Internet is still not working.  It looks as though ie7 is trying to run some of ie8.  The screen comes up for a second and then disappears.
wpgkayak
Found this helpful 0
Answer
wpgkayak replied on

I finally have IE7 reinstalled and working.
What I had to do.
Uninstall IE8
do a system restore, IE7 still would not install so and the remove button was not available
Uninstalled service pack 3, this allowed me to uninstall IE7
Reinstalled service pack 3
reinstalled IE7, IE7 still would not work
reset on internet options
Now I have to reinstall all of the service pack updates.
will do them 1 at a time checking to see which one interferes with IE