MichelleAS
Had this question 172
Question
  • This thread is locked from future replies
MichelleAS asked on

Links in will not open a new window or tab in Windows 7 IE8

I see all over that this is a problem for many in Windows 7.
Clicking a link on a web page that should open a new window or tab just stalls.  Nothing happens.  I have tried changing the UAC settings, security settings, re-registering the dlls, no plug-ins, no pop-up blocker, and etc to no avail.
Something interesting I have found, however:
1.  Open IE8 with protected mode on
2.  change to protected mode off and do not restart the browser
3.  click a link that should open a new window, it works!
4.  well, it works only very temporarily, then it stops working and IE will quickly resume the protected mode off setting... then the new windows will not open again.
This needs a fix in a bad way.  How about a real solution?

Running with fresh install of Windows 7 RTM Ultimate 32-bit.

My workaround is to right click the link, copy shortcut, open new tab, paste shortcut.... this is getting old
B-Hörnchen und A-Hörnchen
Found this helpful 12
Answer

> I used Onyxxl's batch file.

A slight correction: this file was provided by me ;-) And there is a new
version of it that caters better for the different Windows versions.
Please use this and distribute only the link to that page and not any old
stuff, thank you. The only official link is:

http://iefaq.info/index.php?action=artikel&;cat=42&id=133&artlang=en

--
Kai

IEFAQ: http://iefaq.info Newsgroup: microsoft.public.de.internetexplorer
OnyXxL
Found this helpful 74
Most Helpful Reply
OnyXxL replied on

Hi,

I followed a tip given by Pbell on this forum. Originally, it was made to resolve problems on IE8 32 bits when you use a 32 bits OS. I changed "%ProgramFiles(x86)%" var, and now my issue is resolved for IE8 32 bits on my Windows 7 64 bits. Please try it, and tell me if everything work for you.
(removed)
OnyXxL
Vaseem Ahmed
Found this helpful 4
Vaseem Ahmed replied on

Hi Michelle AS

Welcome to Microsoft Vista answers Forum!

To resolve this issue try to optimize Internet Explorer.

Internet Explorer Optimization steps:

Internet Explorer 8

1.     1. Open Internet Explorer 8.

2.     2. Click Tools, and then click Manage Add-ons.

3.     3. On the Show drop-down menu, select All add-ons to display all add-ons that are installed on the computer.

4.     4. For each item in this list, select the add-on, and then click Disable in the Information window.

5.     5. When you have disabled all the items in this list, click OK.

6.    6.  Exit and then restart Internet Explorer.

7.    7.   If issues do not reoccur, repeat steps 1 through 3.

8.    8.  Click Enable for a single add-on.

9.    9.  Repeat steps 6 through 8 until you determine which add-on causes errors to occur.

For more information regarding How to optimize Internet Explorer
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/936213

Also try to reset Internet Explorer. click the Fix this problem link. Then click Run in the File Download dialog box, and follow the steps in this wizard.

Check out the link which talks about How to reset Internet Explorer: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/923737

And you may also try to  Reset security settings for Internet Explorer

1.      Open Internet Explorer.

2.      Click Tools, and then click Internet Options.

3.      Click the Security tab and put a check mark on open new tab next to current tab.

Also try with new user account and check if it works or not.

Shalini Surana
Microsoft Answers Support Engineer
Visit our
Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think.

MichelleAS
Found this helpful 2
MichelleAS replied on

I have tried all those suggestions as indicated in my initial post.
Please provide some new suggestions.

Still needing a solution as so many others do.
Another symptom I see occurring is that each time a link is clicked that should open a new window or tab, another instance if iexplore.exe opens in the Task Manager.  They do not close automatically when you close IE, however.  No window, just an instance in the Task Manager.
Steven. S
Found this helpful 1
Steven. S replied on
Microsoft

Hey MichelleAS,

Have you installed any programs onto Windows 7 yet? (antivirus, security software, ect.)

Try rebooting into a clean boot to see if any 3 party services are causing the problem with tabs/new windows.

·         Click the Start Orb

·         Search msconfig

·         Click Continue on the User Account Control (If prompted)

·         Click the Services tab

·         Check the Hide all Microsoft services box

·         Click Disable all

·         Click OK

·         Click Restart Now

Once you’re logged back in, try to open a new tab/window. If unsuccessful try in Internet Explorer (No add-ons), which you can get to by Start Orb > All Programs > Accessories > System Tools > Internet Explorer (No add-ons). If either are successful then one of the services you disabled is causing a conflict with Internet Explorer.

·         Click the Start Orb

·         Search msconfig

·         Click Continue on the User Account Control (If prompted)

·         Click the Services tab

·         Check the Hide all Microsoft services box

·         Check (Enable) the top half of the service boxes

·         Click OK

·         Click Restart Now

Use the Internet Explorer that worked in the previous step to test if you can still use new tab/window functionality. If you can then the services enabled are good to stay. Repeat the process for the disabled services until the problem returns. Then in the list of services you enabled last, you will need to go through them one by one to isolate which caused the conflict.

Hope that helps, look forward to hearing back from you.

Note: if you using Internet Explorer (No add-ons) because Internet Explorer wouldn’t work you will also need to go into Tools > Manage Add-ons (from within Internet Explorer) and use a similar disable/enable process to find which add-on was causing normal Internet Explorer to not function.

Steven
Microsoft Answers Support Engineer
Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think
MichelleAS
Found this helpful 0
MichelleAS replied on

Thanks for the reply, Steven.  I tried that before but tried again... no luck.
Yes, I've installed a few apps:  MS Office 2007, Adobe Acrobat 9, Roxio Creator 2009, Symantec AV 10.2.1, Firefox 3.5.3... that's about it.

This is a real problem that needs a real solution.
Stick55
Found this helpful 0
Stick55 replied on
I see all over that this is a problem for many in Windows 7.
Clicking a link on a web page that should open a new window or tab just stalls.  Nothing happens.  I have tried changing the UAC settings, security settings, re-registering the dlls, no plug-ins, no pop-up blocker, and etc to no avail.
Something interesting I have found, however:
1.  Open IE8 with protected mode on
2.  change to protected mode off and do not restart the browser
3.  click a link that should open a new window, it works!
4.  well, it works only very temporarily, then it stops working and IE will quickly resume the protected mode off setting... then the new windows will not open again.
This needs a fix in a bad way.  How about a real solution?

Running with fresh install of Windows 7 RTM Ultimate 32-bit.

My workaround is to right click the link, copy shortcut, open new tab, paste shortcut.... this is getting old

I have the exact problem...fresh install with a few apps loaded and now this :(  The protected mode thing does the same thing on mine too !  I have tried every fix I can find on the net....probably now have trashed my new install just trying to fix this bug.
Stick55
Found this helpful 1
Stick55 replied on

I might add...the only common app that I have installed compared to MichelleAS is Microsoft Office 2007.
bratscheguy
Found this helpful 2
bratscheguy replied on

I have applied all of the above mentioned suggestions for fixes to this problem, including switching users , disbeling firewalls and services. I have one major website that does not work at all, None of the critical service links work at all. This is a MAJOR problem, and may prelude me from using Windows 7 / IE 8 Until it is resolved. I have a modern Laptop by Toshiba that came with Windows Vista. This issue is not something in a dark corner.

I must add that the observation of the original poster is exactly true. If Internet Protection is turned off while browsing it does solve the problem briefly, but it IE is restarted even with protection turned off, the problem resumes. Exactly as she said.
shoelessaj
Found this helpful 1
shoelessaj replied on

I too am wrestling with this exact same problem... have tried all the above suggestions and am running into a brick wall. 

Just the basic applications that would be expected.  I did have this problem once on my home PC and disabling a few add-ons fixed it, but unfortunately not so easy on my work PC.
J Coch
Found this helpful 1
J Coch replied on

I join the list of people having this problem.  Have applied all of the suggestions on this thread but to no avail.  Just wonder if Microsoft are taking any note of the problem.. Some feedback from them that they are aware and trying to find a solution would be helpful otherwise I am close to the point where I uninstal 7 and go back to XP

OnyXxL
Found this helpful 1
OnyXxL replied on

I'm experiencing the same issue... I tried eveything possible, except formatting for the moment. But it's not a solution. A lot of people is in this case, and must have the Microsoft attention.
Previous Previous Page of 28 Next Next