Windows 8 getting Event IDs 477, 465, 481, and 454

One of our clients has a Windows 8 Pro laptop. When we first installed Office 2013, we had many issues getting Outlook to run properly. After a few uninstalls using the Windows FixIt designed to remove Office entirely when the online repair fails, we finally figured out that Outlook was installing with XP compatibility by default (strange on a Windows 8 machine). 

Now, apps run incredibly slow, seem to hang, and it's very difficult for the user to use. I have a feeling that the Office issue we had are what's causing these issues. The event log for this laptop is filled with the errors below.

546 Application    ESENT   454 7/9/2013 6:56 AM svchost (1296) SRUJet: Database recovery/restore failed with unexpected error -1022.  1 0

546 Application    ESENT   477 7/9/2013 7:00 AM svchost (1296) SRUJet: The log range read from the file "C:\WINDOWS\system32\SRU\SRU.log" at offset 4096 (0x0000000000001000) for 4096 (0x00001000) bytes failed verification due to a range checksum mismatch.  The expected checksum was 5440712845268019495 (0x4b814b81b31ae927) and the actual checksum was 5440712845268019492 (0x4b814b81b31ae924). The read operation will fail with error -501 (0xfffffe0b).  If this condition persists then please restore the logfile from a previous backup.  1 0

546 Application       ESENT     465 7/9/2013 7:00 AM svchost (1296) SRUJet: Corruption was detected during soft recovery in logfile C:\WINDOWS\system32\SRU\SRU.log. The failing checksum record is located at position END. Data not matching the log-file fill pattern first appeared in sector 1 (0x00000001). This logfile has been damaged and is unusable.  1 0

546 Application      ESENT   481 7/9/2013 7:03 AM svchost (1296) SRUJet: An attempt to read from the file "C:\WINDOWS\system32\SRU\SRU.log" at offset 4096 (0x0000000000001000) for 4096 (0x00001000) bytes failed after 0.020 seconds with system error 1117 (0x0000045d): "The request could not be performed because of an I/O device error. ".  The read operation will fail with error -1022 (0xfffffc02).  If this error persists then the file may be damaged and may need to be restored from a previous backup. 

1 0

Hi,

Is the Windows 8 Pro computer connected to a domain network?

If yes, please post your question here:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windows/en-US/home?category=w7itpro

Please post with the issue status.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi,

Is the Windows 8 Pro computer connected to a domain network?

If yes, please post your question here:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windows/en-US/home?category=w7itpro

Please post with the issue status.

Mine is at home and not connected to a domain network and I get this entry in the Event Viewer every single second and sometimes multiple time a second.  Event ID 454

svchost (1648) SRUJet: Database recovery/restore failed with unexpected error -509.

The number in parentheses varies

And no I don't have any virus in my system.  I did check intensively and by rebooting in Safe Mode

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Can't imagine not a single person knows something about how to solve this problem ?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I just got over a very similar problem with a month old laptop with Win 8.  I ran a chkdsk /r on the C drive after booting from a usb drive with the MDOP diag tools (you can boot from anything other than your boot disk so chkdsk can unmount it).

There were no physical disk errors reported in the OS, but I was getting same events you report, and chkdsk /r found only 3 errors, one of which was with c:\windows\system32\sru\srudb.dat

chkdsk replaced bad clusters in the file and in two other seemingly less significant files, and upon reboot all my problems were gone.  The laptop was performing awfully, and the symptoms were such that it seemed like a disk error, but I believe it was an OS indexing error of the windows.edb file (search database).  I see some ESENT entries in the application log now and it looks like it replayed some logs and the search service successfully started now, and all is well.

I was quite flustered, so didn't take the time to note all the details (it's my son's new laptop), but I can't believe it's fine now.  You might search Technet for windows.edb repair or rebuild.  I think the search service uses that for its database, and I think the problem is related to a metro app and maybe an associated driver.  Anyhow, I'm finally past it!

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

and if it happens again, I'm going to delete the srudb.dat file and see if Windows recreates it.  I think it will and that will be a much easier fix.  I'll bet my chkdsk /r caused the srudb.dat file to get recreated on boot, if it was even there after my chkdsk (I didn't look, sorry).

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Nothing works.  The only thing I can do to solve my issue is to disable "Diagnostic Policy Service" when I turn this off, no more messages in the event viewer but when I try to troubleshoot Network connection for instance, I need to turn it on and I soon as I do, millions of ESENT errors pops in EV !

It's definitely DPS in the services that causes this trouble.  I don't want to ear more of this until Microsoft puts just a little bit of effort in making an update that fix this.  With all what is going on in this company, I doubt it'll be soon !

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated March 7, 2024 Views 13,385 Applies to: