Windows 8 Keeps Ejecting my CD-ROM Drive

I have Windows 8 Enterprise 64-bit.  My CD-ROM drive keeps ejecting on its own.  I removed the driver from the device manager and it still occurs.  This did not occur when this PC ran Windows 7 Ultimate.  I did a bare metal Windows 8 install.

My machine is an HP Pavilion DV6-2150us

Core i3

8GB RAM

Answer
Answer
Hi,

The above article also contains the steps for Windows 8. So i would suggest you to try the above steps and let us know the result.

This behavior can be caused by the incompatible third party filter drivers. Please follow the steps to remove filter drivers and reload the driver of the CD drive.

Delete filter driver
=====================

1. Click "Start", in the Start Search box type "regedit" and press Enter. 
2. Navigate to the following key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

3. Right click on "Class", click "Export"; please name the file as "RegBackup" (without quotation marks) and then save it to the C:\ drive as a backup.

Note: In case we need to undo the modification, we can double click this RegBackup.reg file to restore the registry key.

4. Highlight this key, on the right pane, check if the "Upperfilters" and "Lowerfilters" values are present. If so, please right click on the values and select "Delete" to remove them.

After deleting filter drivers, please reload the drivers.

Reinstall driver
=====================

1. Click "Start", in the Start Search box type "devmgmt.msc" and press "Enter".
2. Expand "DVD/CDROM Drives".
3. Right click the listed DVD/CD-ROM, and click "Uninstall". Please uninstall all devices.
4. Restart the computer.

The drivers will be loaded automatically.

Note: This section, method, or task contains steps that tell you how to modify the registry. However, serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly. Therefore, make sure that you follow these steps carefully. For added protection, back up the registry before you modify it. Then, you can restore the registry if a problem occurs. For more information about how to back up and restore the registry

4 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated July 27, 2021 Views 10,320 Applies to: