Disable Hyperthreading when Windows 7 already installed. Possible without reinstallation?

I have a quad core i7 with windows 7 Enterprise installed. I run a lot of single-thread programs for heavy calculations, so the multithreading is really costing me a lot of time. I can only use half of the cpu I could use without hyperthreading (12-13% instead of 25%). So I want to change this.

Now I've read on multiple fora that you have / have not to reinstall your Windows to change that hyperthreading. So I come to you : How could I approach this best, without losing stability (which I highly need), without unpleasant side effects, and with the least amount of effort. Reinstalling everything will take me a couple of days, so the boss really likes it if I don't have to.

Cheers

Answer
Answer

Played around a bit yesterday evening anyway. Disabling hyperthreading in the BIOS worked, and no strange things are happening to my Windows. So I can confirm, on a i7 quadcore with Windows 7 Enterprise, you can just disable the hyperthreading without having to reinstall Windows.

As expected, R runs a lot faster (depending on the tested code between 1.5 and 1.8 times faster) and is using 25% of the total CPU (thus is using 1 physical core now.)

3 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated December 20, 2023 Views 50,586 Applies to: