Slow laptop after Windows 10 upgrade

I upgraded my Windows 8.1 laptop to Windows 10 on July 29th like quite a few people. It is SLOWER than dirt all of a sudden. I ran the disk optimization but didn't help. I have 8GB of RAM with an Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4700MQ CPU @ 2.40GHz. PLENTY of power. Windows 7 and 8 and 8.1 ran perfectly - after the 10 upgrade, it's like I'm back in the 90's. What could this be?????

Hi, Krystifer Colli-Biondi

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

I understand your concern, and we in Community will try to help you in the best possible way we can.

Method 1:

I would suggest you to Run maintenance task and check if it helps.

The Run maintenance task checks issues that might slow down your computer's performance, such as how many users are currently logged on to the computer and whether multiple programs are running at the same time.

Follow the below steps:

1. Press Windows + X on the keyboard.
  2. Select Control Panel.
  3. Select Troubleshooting.
  4. Click on Run maintenance task under System and Security.

Method 2:

To defragment your hard disk

1. Open Disk Defragmenter by clicking the Startbutton. In the search box, type Disk Defragmenter, and then, in the list of results, click Disk Defragmenter.
  2. Under Current status, select the disk you want to defragment.
  3. To determine if the disk needs to be defragmented or not, click Analyze disk.  If you're prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

Once Windows is finished analyzing the disk, you can check the percentage of fragmentation on the disk in the Last Run column. If the number is above 10%, you should defragment the disk.

1. Click Defragment disk.  If you're prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

Method 3:

If issue still persist, you can try Clean Boot and check if it helps.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/929135

Note:The article For Windows 8/8.1 will work for Windows 10 as well.

DISCLIAMER:

Please go through the section: How to reset the computer to start as usual after troubleshooting with clean boot of the Kb article to boot the computer in normal startup after fixing the issue.

Your reply is very important for us to ensure a proper resolution. Please get back to us with the above information in order to assist you accordingly.

For further assistance, you can post your query in Microsoft Community.

Regards

Vanessa

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Same here.  I have a Lenovo Yoga 2 pro.  I updated all available drivers to 10 version after the upgrade trying to fix issue.  Still the same.  Incredibly slow.  I had to switch to the edge browser over chrome hoping to fix browsing issues, but it did not.  Internet browsing is very slow and very flaky.  Screen flickers now and then.  After resuming, network is lost.  Must disconnect and reconnect.  Everything is just slow.  Drag and drop files to web pages doesn't work in edge.  AVI videos don't play.  Too many issues, so I am going sadly back to 8.  Maybe I will just go to 7 as that was favorite other than xp and wait awhile for drivers and patches to come out.

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Same issues with Yoga 2 pro. Upgrading my Dell Latitude was without problem, looks like problem with Lenovo.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

read this: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-other_settings/windows-10-only-use-half-of-max-cpu-speed/d97b219f-10ee-4a42-a0fc-d517c1b60be8?auth=1&rtAction=1440309762540

i have the same problem, the Microsoft tech support never answers this, they only say the same but the troubleshooting does nothing

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

very frustrating sice the very DAY I received the upgrade:(the same issue of many others, from THE moment of W10 update, my laptop is so slow that I am unable to enjoy any W10 features. the more that's running the worse. so FYI, heres a list.... cant download minecraft WildTangeant games. cant utilize the microphone to use commands due to lag, the tab bar and commands too slow to pop up, cant watch movies on my favorite websites (wont even play now either! have to use external links) and videos on youtube  load and loa, lag isvery bad on 240p and aboveHD, just downloaded wild tangeant and its too slow to play games. ive deleted all unused programs, and system mait. is ran weekly.  I feel like back to the old lap top I threw out for this newer one and now this one feels like my 2 old ones. I would love to get use to the new windows 10 layout and features, however, its too frustrating when all you notice is a LAG. I hope this issue can be resolved in an update- this can take hours....I am defraying now...see how it goes... trust me , I am your biggest fan-  want to enjoy benifts of W10 and enjoy my laptop!!!!

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I also have a Lenovo and am having the sloooow response time.

I too am thinking of un-installing windows 10 ;0(

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I also have a Lenovo and am having sloooow response times.

I am thinking of un-installing Windows 10  ;0(

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated August 21, 2023 Views 8,236 Applies to: